Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Before photos’ Category

From my previous posts, you’ve probably seen that plastic from the 1970s doesn’t age well. It turns yellow and stains really easily. After watching a rad tutorial online from the show Classic Rides, I learned how I could transform my tub, sink and counters with epoxy paint. We went to Lowes to find epoxy and came across one that didn’t say it was suitable for plastic, but we took a risk with it and bought it. The results are nothing short of amazing. The new finish was applied with a 6″ foam roller and a 2″ foam paint brush. 3 hours of applying two coats of epoxy and it’s ready for some pretty new fixtures.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Read Full Post »

After everything was primed throughout, we painted with Olympic no voc paint in a natural white. It is amazing what a difference paint makes!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Read Full Post »

The nastiest room in the airstream was the bathroom. I become slightly less offended by it, as I paint over the aged plastic surfaces. Check out the before photos of the bathrooms. I had to remove a bunch of broken inserts for the metal trim and also remove contact paper from the counters, which revealed a lot of staining. We are going to be epoxying the tub, sink and counters to breathe in new life to the bathroom. We had to remove the toilet, as it wasn’t an RV toilet. We are going to replace the plexiglass in the shower door and spray paint the icky brass silver. We are also going to switch out plumbing fixtures. We haven’t done a full test of the plumbing yet because we don’t have a black water tank. Apparently, if you live in an airstream full-time and have it parked, you remove essential systems for a traveling trailer…boo! We also have plans to do a mosaic or pebble rock floor in the bathroom. I bought some dark matchstick bamboo for the bath skirt, but I might try to find something better to line it.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Read Full Post »

I have lost 8.5 lbs in 6 days. I have only owned the Airstream for 6 days! Until we get a 30 amp outlet installed in our garage, we don’t have enough power to test the AC. So, that makes for a hotttttttttttt working area. When it’s like 104 outside, it feels like 104 inside the Airstream. I have a temperature gun….I am going to test the inside vs outside temperature to see which is hotter…inside or outside the airstream.

Priming the walls was a nightmare….2 long days of taping and priming with thick gooey oil-based primer. I don’t want to see oil-based primer again for as long as I live. Trust me, neither do you. Priming plastic tambour was a painful experience. I have to get into every little groove and ensure that I didn’t paint the sliding cabinet doors shut. Christie and Matt helped me prime, which made it go a lot quicker.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Read Full Post »

This is still a work-in-progress, but many Mr. clean magic erasers and steel wool pads later, the cooktop is looking better. We bought some oven cleaner which we are going to use to finish the job of polishing up the stainless steel cooktop.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Read Full Post »

After we ripped up the existing vinyl flooring and sanded the plywood, we covered the floors and prepped all wall and ceiling surfaces for painting. Since much of the interior is plastic, we had to use an oil-based primer. I searched for a no voc oil-based primer, but couldn’t find one. We did find a natural white no-voc latex paint to use to freshen up the walls.

The bathroom was by far the scariest room in the airstream. It was dirty, dingy and all the plastic was discolored. And, the walnut laminate bathroom wall skirting was being covered up by black and white vinyl tiles….ew!

Here are some photos from the paint prepping and bathroom vinyl skirt removal.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Read Full Post »

We knew the gross vinyl flooring needed to be removed, so that was our first project. We had to pull a lot of staples and nails from the plywood subfloor, but we found the plywood to be in really great shape overall. We sanded the plywood to remove the sticky mastic that was left behind. There are a couple small areas we are going to patch, prior to installing new wood laminate floors. We hope to start working on the new floors in a couple of days.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »